Seattle, WA
Poet, blogger, lawyer, educator, sista, sister, aunt, daughter, mentor, friend, dog owner, lover of music and all things gluten free... Writing about all of this and more.

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Starting Today.


Pressing forward toward the goal, facing upward, I'm embracing what life is right now. Not what could have been, not what I should have done. Both feet are in this moment, no more dragging, no looking back.

Starting today, I am honest. Not that good-girl brand of honesty that means telling a stranger when he drops a dollar. No, I'm that fearless, uncomfortable brand of truth-telling. The kind that requires vulnerability when I want to put my armor up. The kind that compels me to speak when I'd rather be quiet. The kind that tells you what I can do, what I like, what I don't like, what I need, when just going along would be easier in the moment.

Starting today, I will appreciate God's gifts and His discipline, knowing that without both, I would not be who I am. I will see the lesson in each challenging moment. I will wait patiently to understand.

Starting today, this will be my attitude. This will be the little reminder I whisper to myself, kindly, patiently. It's not only about shedding regrets and forgetting pain. It's also about knowing that nothing I've done in the past--none of the successes or feats--is more important than what I choose to do today.  I am not defined by who I was, what I did, how I made people feel back then. I am defined by what I am and who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment