Seattle, WA
Poet, blogger, lawyer, educator, sista, sister, aunt, daughter, mentor, friend, dog owner, lover of music and all things gluten free... Writing about all of this and more.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Writing About Mom

Those who read this blog regularly know that there are some pretty consistent themes to my writing. One of the biggest themes is Grief. Today marks the 9th anniversary of my mother's transition out of this life that we know and into the next stage. I have grappled with what this stage might look like, with where she is--is she looking down at me? Is she simply resting? Is she with her parents, my father? Is she anywhere?--and while my theological beliefs have helped me find peace with many of these questions, the reality is that only God really knows and it's my job to just accept reality.

I don't really want to write much this year. I just want to feel what I need to feel, go about my day doing the things I need to do, and remember her. One might think that nine years would be enough time to help you not be a mess, but it doesn't work that way. My dear friend over at Alligator Legs put it well when she said:
at moments like these, it is apparent that time is only time; it does not comfort, heal, push you forward. grieving is real work and time does not, of itself, heal all wounds.


That said, I do think it's important to share something about Ms. Charlene. She is remembered and I feel compelled to remind. So here are some things I've written in the past. They still apply, so I think we're good:

You are here.

Dreams from my mothers.

Mother (poem)


Miss you mom.

Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment